The gist: build a web app for having online, non-instant discussions organized by threads.
a.k.a. message board
I grew up in the age of forums. You'd post and check back to see if anyone responded to what you posted. Often times people made friends this way. I thought it was a really fun way to have online interactions that were a bit slower than instant messaging and chat.
Building a forum app is great for learning because there are lots of examples of them online and
Here's what a forum thread looks like:
- Authentication (sign up, log in, log out)
- Create message threads with an initial post and title
- Users can respond to the message thread
- Users can browse posted messages
- Reply to and quote messages
- Notify user when they're directly replied to
- Ability to delete and edit posts
- Discourse — a free, open-source forum software built with Ruby
- Man Without Ties - Paul Westerberg message board — an example of a still running forum from the old days