The gist: build a game you control a paddle and can hit a ball to bounce it back.
Pong! It goes back decades. It's basically simplified tennis. Pong has basics of most games: input, movement, collision detection.
I made a single-player game inspired by Pong called Lonely Paddle:
- Move paddle (a rectangle) up and down with arrow keys
- Draw walls on three sides of the screen
- Start the game by launching the ball
- When the ball hits a wall or paddle, change its direction, accounting for its angle
- When the ball goes off screen behind the player, the game is over
- Collision Detection
- Add a second paddle to have another person control to challenge the player
- Keep track of score
- Keep track of score in terms of time passed
- Add collectibles
- Juice it up with animations, sound effects, and music